In July 2015, Bethel United Church of Kinburn amalgamated with St. Andrew’s of Fitzroy Harbour to form Bethel-St. Andrew’s United Church. Rev. Steve Moore led us through the amalgamation process. Rev Dr Christine Johnson joined us in 2018. She has been leading us in meaningful & thought provoking worship and inspires us regularly with her weekly sermons and letters. .
The first church and school in Fitzroy Township were established by Charles Shirreff in1832, in a log building, on the site of the present Bethel-St. Andrew’s United Church. In 1841 St. Andrew’s (now Bethel-St. Andrew’s) began as an organized parish with Reverend Alexander Mann inducted into the Charge of Fitzroy, Tarbolton, Pakenham, McNab and Horton. In 1858 Reverend Mr. Henderson began to devote his energies to building a substantial stone church at Fitzroy Harbour, which is the current building. Church Union in 1925 helped to strengthen the congregation at Fitzroy Harbour. Shortly afterwards in 1929 development of the Chats Falls Hydro Electric Plant took place. This resulted in a substantial increase in the population and growth in the congregation
August 1873 to July 2015
Bethel had its origins in three old and well-established churches, Kinburn Presbyterian, Lowry Presbyterian and Diamond Methodist. The Lowry Church was destroyed in the east forest fire of Carleton in August, 1870. In 1872 fifteen families sent a petition to the Ottawa Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church requesting the establishment of a church in the village of Kinburn. The first congregation met on January 27, 1873. The church building, still an active Presbyterian Church, was completed in June of 1881. Church union was not accepted by all in Kinburn in June, 1925 but those favoring union organized to form the Kinburn United Church. The new congregation, with 36 charter members, met in the rooms above Millar’s store. In 1928, discussions began that resulted in the Diamond Methodist Church joining the Kinburn Church.
December 2, 1928 to September 2, 2007
In 1925 the Presbyterian congregation of Galetta passed into the United Church of Canada and shortly after the decision was made to build a church. Lot 88 on Ann Street in Galetta was bought from Fred Clifford. The cost to build the church was $800.00 raised through fund raising and donations. With the cooperation and hard work of many members the church was ready for services in 1928, with the official opening on December 2.
The church was named St. Columba by Rev. Duncan Robertson, who was a native of Scotland. St. Columba originates from the saint who brought Christianity to the early Scots.
St. Columba was very active over the years with Red Cross meetings during the war years, Vacation Bible School, business meetings, teas, bazaars, and anniversary dinners in addition to the regular Sunday services. With the closing of Kingdon Mines in 1931, the congregation began to dwindle. Through the dedicated support of a few families St. Columba continued to operate on a regular basis until September 2, 2007.
Whyte's Cemetery - firstname.lastname@example.org
Whyte's Cemetery, Lot 25, Concession 10, Fitzroy Township, Carleton (Ottawa), Ontario.
This small cemetery is located on the edge of Fitzroy Provincial Park on the corner of Canon Smith Road and Old Birch Road, about 5 kms north of Fitzroy Harbour. It is completely enclosed by large shade trees and is unfenced. The cemetery is well kept and still in use. From Fitzroy Harbour drive east up the steep hill to Canon Smith Road, turn left and drive straight on to the Fitzroy Provincial Park on your left. The cemetery is also on your left.
The land was donated in 1855 by James G. Whyte, a well-known and prominent Ottawa businessman. James' second name is Galetti after his mother, Margaret Galetti who is buried in Glasgow, Scotland. James's son G. C. Whyte, owned a considerable amount of land in the area at one time. The village of Galetta is named after him.
Lowry Cemetery - email@example.com
This cemetery is on the north side of Thomas Dolan Parkway, west of Diamondview Road, in Marathon.
A Presbyterian clergyman in Perth, Ontario, Rev. Wm. Bell, heard that the people of this faith in Fitzroy needed a clergy to serve their needs. In 1837, Rev. Bell preached and baptized four children. In 1841, Rev. Alexander Mann was inducted into this charge where he served for several years until he was assigned to the Pakenham charge.
Hamilton Lowry donated a small acreage facing the boundary line between Huntley and Fitzroy between 8th and 9th concessions to build a centre of worship for neighbouring families of the Presbyterian faith. By 1845, supported by donations of money and free labour from the parishioners. Land was marked out between the church and the nearby creek for a cemetery, known to future generations as Lowry Cemetery.
St Columba Fund - Nance Hayley,
Bethel Minstry Fund - Sandy Preece,
Manse Housing Allowance Fund - Rob Roesler and Ken Stewart