St. Columba United Church
December 2, 1928 to September 2, 2007
In 1925 the Presbyterian congregation of Galetta passed into the United Church of Canada and shortly after the decision was made to build a church. Lot 88 on Ann Street in Galetta was bought from Fred Clifford. The cost to build the church was $800.00 raised through fund raising and donations. With the cooperation and hard work of many members the church was ready for services in 1928, with the official opening on December 2.
The church was named St. Columba by Rev. Duncan Robertson, who was a native of Scotland. St. Columba originates from the saint who brought Christianity to the early Scots.
St. Columba was very active over the years with Red Cross meetings during the war years, Vacation Bible School, business meetings, teas, bazaars, and anniversary dinners in addition to the regular Sunday services. With the closing of Kingdon Mines in 1931, the congregation began to dwindle. Through the dedicated support of a few families St. Columba continued to operate on a regular basis until September 2, 2007.