One of two churches in Kinburn, Bethel represented the United Church of Canada. Once part of the 2-point Fitzroy Pastoral Charge, Bethel was integrated with St. Andrew’s United Church in Fitzroy Harbour in July 2015.
Bethel had its origins in three old and well-established churches, Kinburn Presbyterian, Lowry Presbyterian and Diamond Methodist. The Lowry Church was destroyed in the east forest fire of Carleton in August, 1870. In 1872 fifteen families sent a petition to the Ottawa Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church requesting the establishment of a church in the village of Kinburn. The first congregation met on January 27, 1873. The church building, still an active Presbyterian Church, was completed in June of 1881. Church union was not accepted by all in Kinburn in June, 1925 but those favoring union organized to form the Kinburn United Church. The new congregation, with 36 charter members, met in the rooms above Millar’s store. In 1928, discussions began that resulted in the Diamond Methodist Church joining the Kinburn Church.